Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Parenting Class

Every Tuesday night for the next 4 weeks, we have a parenting class from 6:30 - 9:30. While I'm learning a lot about things we can do to make the pre- and post-pregnancy a little easier, it's also been very entertaining seeing how other parents are weathering the change in their life.

On the first day, each couple had to introduce themselves. One of the wives said she and her husband were married in 2006. The husband quickly spoke up and corrected his wife, chiding her that they had been married in 2005. I saw the wife seething, which I assumed was because she didn't like being embarassed in class. 5 minutes later, the husband stood up and offered an apology for the class, because sure enough, they had been married in 2006. That's unfortunate for the husband. What's worse than being dumb? Being dumb and not knowing it.

During the second class, the husbands and wives split up and were asked to come up with what the were scared about during this process. The wives had a very thoughtful list. Clearly, they were taking this seriously. The husbands also took this very seriously. We wanted to know the following:

1) What if my baby is dumb?
2) What if my baby is ugly?
3) What if my wife doesn't lose all her weight?

I truly was only worried about whether Frances and I will ever find "alone" time with each other again. Needless to say, I had to maintain my "cool" factor and didn't speak up.

No comments:

Sonogram from 8/23/2007 (10 weeks)

Sonogram from 8/23/2007 (10 weeks)
"I'm about 3 centimeters here"

Sonogram from 9/7/2007 (12.5 weeks)

Sonogram from 9/7/2007 (12.5 weeks)
"I have a big belly, just like mom and dad!"